Garfield is the famous cartoon character created by Jim Davis in 1978. He has appeared in over 500 books and comic strips since then. The main characters are his owner, Jon Arbuckle, and his friends Odie, Lucy, and Nermal.
Garfield was originally named Mr. Mowgli after Rudyard Kipling’s Jungle Book character. In 1981, he became the star of his own comic strip. His popularity grew even further after the movie came out in 1989.
What kind of cat is Garfield?
The most common type of cat that people call “Garfield” is a domestic shorthair. They have long fur on their bodies with short hair around their face. They can be black or white.
They also have a very friendly personality. Many people love them because they are so easy to care for. They are good at playing with other animals and making new friends.
They are also very smart. They can learn many tricks like jumping through hoops and catching mice. They are great hunters too. They will chase down small prey like rabbits and squirrels.
Garfield Cat Breed
There are three different types of cats called “Garfields”: Persian, Maine Coon, and Ragdoll. Each one has its own unique characteristics.
These are the most popular type of cat in America. They come from Persia (now Iran). Their coat color varies from light brown to dark chocolate brown.
These are big cats with thick coats. They weigh about 10 pounds and grow up to 20 inches tall. They are usually black, but there are some white ones as well.
These are cute little kittens who look just like teddy bears. They are born with soft fur and round faces. When they get older, they start growing longer fur and more pointed ears.
1. Garfields are not actually cats. They are part of the family Felidae. This means that they are related to tigers, lions, leopards, cheetahs, and lynxes.
2. There are two kinds of Garfields: Domestic Shorthairs and Exotic Shorthairs. These are both descendants of wildcats. Wildcats were brought into captivity thousands of years ago.
3. The first Garfield book was published in 1979. It sold millions of copies and made him an international celebrity.
4. The name “Garfield’ comes from Rudyard Kipling‘s novel The Jungle Book. The story takes place in India and tells how a young boy named Mowgli grows up in the jungle. One day, he meets a panther named Bagheera.
5. Garfield’s creator, Jim Davis, wrote Garfield’s first book himself. He had never written before. He wanted to make sure it was perfect.
6. The first Garfield movie was released in 1989. It starred Tom Hanks and Tim Allen.
7. Garfield’s birthday is February 14th.
8. Garfield is allergic to fish. So if you want to keep him happy, don’t feed him any!
9. Garfield’s favorite food is peanut butter.
10. Garfield loves to play fetch. He will follow your ball and bring it back to you.
Jim Davis And Garfield
Jim Davis created Garfield when he was only 15 years old. He started working on the comic strip in 1972.
He drew all the strips by hand until 1976. Then he hired someone else to write them. He continued drawing the comic himself until 1985.
Davis died in 1991. His wife Helen took over writing the comic strip. She still draws the pictures today.
In 1994, the first Garfield video game came out. It was based on the TV show. Since then, there have been several more games.
In 1999, a live action film came out starring Thomas Sangster as Garfield.
The movie grossed $100 million dollars worldwide. It became the highest grossing animated film ever.
Today, there are more than 100 books about Garfield. Some of them are even illustrated by Jim Davis.
Conclusion: What Type Of Cat Is Garfield?
If you ask people which type of cat is Garfield, they will say either Maine Coon or Persian. But really, he is a mix between all three. He looks like a Maine Coon because he has a long body and a short tail. But his face is more like a Persian.