It’s not uncommon to have a pear-shaped face. You may not know what this means, but I will break it down in an easy-to-digest way.
A pear-shaped face is a result of having wide cheekbones and jawline with a narrower forehead. This characteristic may pose a challenge for some when it comes to grooming.
Even so, we all need some good fashion inspiration from time to time. And when it comes to pear-shaped faces, the sky is the limit as far as creativity goes!
In this post, I’ll discuss the best makeup for pear-shaped faces. I’ve also pulled up the best hairstyles and fashion accessories that work well with them.
Read on to find out more.
What is a pear-shaped face?
A pear-shaped face is a result of having wide cheekbones and jawline with a narrower forehead. To give you an idea of what I mean, take a look at Kelly Osbourne.
Some people also refer to it as a triangle face. Wide cheeks and a narrow chin make up this type of face shape, which often produces an oval-shaped skull. So, it’s easy to see why you might always have hair in your eyes or can’t find the right accessory.
It can prove difficult to find a style that’ll suit this sort of facial structure best.
Celebrities with pear-shaped faces include:
- Jennifer Aniston
- Kate Walsh
- Kelly Osbourne
- Ali Larter
- Sophia Bush
- Billie Piper
- Minnie Driver
What are the common face shapes?
The common face shapes are oval, round, square, and triangle. It’s not just about the shape of your forehead or chin – it’s also about a combination of different factors:
- Our faces come in various shapes because they’re made up of many bones that help create this characteristic look for us all. The most important bone is the mandible which creates our jawline. It also helps dictate where our cheekbones might be on our faces.
- Another big factor determining what shape you have is how wide your nose bridge sits as well as how far apart your eyes sit from each other. If these features are close together, then you probably have more sharp angles. Whereas wider spacing can give results such as an oblong-shaped head.
1. Oval Face
An oval face is longer and narrower with more gentle angles on the cheeks, forehead, and chin. It’s a feminine look as it’s soft and delicate.
2. Round Face
A round face’s circular around the entire head rather than long like an oval shape. This could be due to having fuller edges at the sides, making for a youthful appearance that captures attention easily.
3. Square Face
The squarer jawline of someone with a square-shaped face can make them appear manlier. You come off very attractive in your way – think Hailey Beiber! They have strong cheekbones too so they’re not afraid to show off their features.
4. Diamond Face
A diamond-shaped face is a combination of an oval and a square. This means that your forehead might have gentle angles, but it will be more angular on the jawline as well as having fuller cheeks.
These faces are usually perceived to be both strong yet attractive with their wide-set eyes together in the middle with pronounced cheekbones – think Halle Berry!
5. heart-shaped Face
A heart-shaped face has a wide forehead and also wide cheeks. These are sometimes described as strong-looking with sharp angles on their chins.
6. Inverted Triangle Face
An inverted triangle face means you have a wide forehead combined with fuller cheeks. The jawline tapers into a pointed chin.
An inverted triangle face is in many instances confused with a heart shape face.
7. Oblong Face Shape
An oblong face shape is a combination of an oval and a square. It looks like a rectangle but has softer edges at the corners of your forehead and jawlines.
8. Rectangle Face Shape
A rectangle face shape has a wide forehead and jawline. This means the edges come out wider at your cheekbones, temples as well as on the sides of your head.
The corners of this type of shaped face might be more angular than round or soft like an oblong face.
Benefits of knowing your face’s shape
Different face shapes require different hair lengths, hairstyles, hats, or other accessories. For example, round-faced individuals prefer longer hair. This is because it elongates their facial structure, giving them a more angular appearance.
Knowing your face shape is pretty important because:
- If you know the best hairstyle for you, it can make you feel better. It can make you have more confidence to be out in public and have fun! You’ll also avoid certain styles that don’t work well with your unique features. You’ll be now able to make the most of your style!
- Appearance can dictate our mood. So, finding flattering clothes that accentuate your best features will put you in a better mindset for success. After all, when we feel good about how we look it trickles into other areas of life as well.
- You’ll be also able to get a haircut that suits your face shape. You’ll avoid styles that only make certain features stand out. For example, if you have an oval-shaped face then it’s best to go with shorter layers. This is since they’ll give the illusion of lengthier hair which often camouflages wider foreheads or longer faces.
- It will also help you find the right hat or other accessories to match your facial structure.
- It makes it easier to stay mindful when shopping online. Instead of buying items that don’t match your face shape, you can search for those that do.
The best makeup for pear-shaped faces
It gets frustrating when it’s difficult to figure out how much makeup will go on different parts of your face. But don’t worry! There are plenty of great products that you can wear for a pear-shaped face.
Let’s start with your eye makeup.
When choosing eyeshadow, choose a lighter color on the outer corner and darker on the inner corner for balance. A brown shadow’s perfect because it has both colors in one compact package!
Next are brows. You can use a pencil or powder to fill them in and make your eyes look bigger.
When it comes to lips, stick with the lighter colors because they’ll balance out the dark tones on your face.
If you want a little more va-va-voom, try using lip gloss instead of lipstick. This is because it will give you a more natural appearance. You don’t have to wear bright colors if you want to play up that smallmouth on your pear-shaped face. A nude lip or lighter color is perfect for contrast!
Finally, when it comes to foundation, you have options!
You can either use powder or liquid for your base. You can also choose from light to medium coverage depending on what type of look you’re going for. Just make sure that if you are using liquid makeup, the color’s about two shades lighter than your skin tone to balance out the dark tones.
This is just my personal preference. Feel free to stray or experiment with other creativity as you please!
What are your favorite makeup products for pear-shaped faces?
The most suitable hairstyles for a pear-shaped face
Some considerations come into play when deciding what hairstyles will work best for your pear face shape.
The best thing you can do for a pear-shaped face is to find an expert stylist and show them your pictures. They will be able to sit down with you, analyze the shape of your hairline, jawline, cheekbones, and eyes then determine what hairstyles will work best for you.
The most suitable hairstyles for a pear-shaped face include:
- Bob cut with bangs to soften angles on the forehead
- Shaggy layered bob or pixie haircut at chin level
- Layered updo to add volume at the crown of the head
- Soft waves or curls at jawline level
- Long, sleek, side-swept bangs frame the face and draw attention away from the chin area.
Again, feel free to go crazy with other ideas you may have. Ensure that you consult with your stylist first.
Hairstyles to avoid if you have a pear-shaped face
Hairstyles to avoid are those that take attention away from the best features of your face. You want a hairstyle that either highlights or at least balances out what you don’t like about yourself.
Because of that, you should avoid the following styles:
- Bangs on one side, longer hair on other (narrows face)
- High ponytails (widens the top of your head and widens your jawline)
- Long hair with a low bun at the nape of the neck or gathered in a heavy circle around the shoulders. This will make you look shorter, wider, and heavier than you are. Instead try a side-swept updo or ponytail with a short, little braid at the nape of the neck.
- Long hair curled into an updo to make you seem taller and thinner than usual. It will also widen your jawline more if it’s curly so avoid that too!
Best accessories for pear-shaped faces
To give yourself the best look, take time in understanding your pear-shaped face.
The following items should be at the top of your shopping list:
Diamond studs, drop earrings, and hoops are all great choices for pear-shaped faces.
Sunnies with oval lenses and a thin frame are great for pear-shaped faces.
One great option is a white wide-brimmed hat with a rounded top. It’ll keep you cool and covered up without making your face look too round.
Pear-shaped faces look best with long necklaces that have a large pendant that accentuates the collarbone. They’ll make your face look slender.
As you have seen from the article, it’s just as fun having a pear-shaped face. The key to enjoying this happiness is to ensure that you make the right decisions. This is with regards to your choice of makeup, fashion accessory, or even hairstyle!
I hope I have satisfied your curiosity…
Do you have any tips or hacks you’d like to share? Get me in the Comments Section below!