Candlelight makes a room very relaxing and intimate. However, beware that it can also cause nightmares if the wax drips all over the carpet. Fortunately, candles and carpet can be a perfect combination as long as you know how to remove the wax and save your precious carpet from this hard stain.
Unlike other liquid drips that you have to wipe before it dries, candle wax should be dried first before you proceed with the removal process. This is important so you will not spread the wax further in the carpet. You may want to wait until the wax solidifies or you can get an ice pack to freeze it.
The following items can be used if scraping the wax off is not enough. These are safe and will not hurt the fabric as long as you do it as recommended. Before you proceed, prepare the basic materials you may need: butter knife or any sharp object, lint-free fabric, iron and more.
Since candle wax is oil-based, thus this stain is removable by a solvent such as isopropyl alcohol that is easily available at home. Beware though that you cannot use this solvent in acetate, modacrylic or triacetate-based carpet because it will destroy the fabric.
To use alcohol in removing candle wax, you can do the following:
- Using the butter knife or any sharp object, scrape the dried wax.
- Lay the moistened lint-free cloth over the wax. Set the iron to medium heat and run it over the moistened cloth so the wax will stick to it. Never let the iron sit on the cloth for long.
- Pour a small amount of alcohol to remove residue.
- If it does not come off, you can repeat the process.
Vinegar is known for lifting odors and getting stains out of most carpet. What you have to do is to soak the portion in vinegar and sprinkle a little baking soda until you see fizzes. After a few minutes, the stain will absorb it until it becomes powdery and can be vacuumed afterwards.
In the case of candle wax, follow these steps:
- Heat up the wax with a hair dryer and pat it with a paper towel.
- Mix ¼ white vinegar with ¾ water and use it to remove leftover wax on the carpet after scraping.
- After successful removal, you may apply a one to two drops of essential oil on the portion where you applied the vinegar solution to get rid of the sour scent.
Dry Carpet Cleaner
If you are a person who does not have time or does not want to try do-it-yourself or home-based solutions then buying a carpet cleaner is the best option. Dry cleaning solutions are available in grocery and hardware stores. Just get the right one for your carpet and you are good to start.
Dry cleaning carpet solution can be used with the following procedure:
- Get and blot the wax spills as much as possible, then start vacuuming the powdery particles left.
- Before applying the solution, try it first on a hidden portion of the carpet and see if there will be discoloration or other issues.
- Scoop a solution with a use of cloth then apply it on the stain, starting from outside toward the center. This is to minimize the chances of spreading the stain or residue to unaffected parts of the carpet.
- Leave it for at least 5 minutes, so the solution can work on its magic.
- Dry the stained portion with clean white cloth until the stain no longer transfers to the cloth. Never rub the stain so you will not damage the delicate fibers of the carpet.
- Wash the spot with cold water to remove all the excess solution.
- Dry and vacuum the carpet to restore it to its former glory.
- You can repeat the process if you are still not satisfied with the first try.
Maintaining Your Carpet
A carpet can be very expensive, but it is designed to last for many years with the proper care and maintenance. This is easy when you have the right tools like vacuum, effective stain remover and scissors.
Vacuum It Weekly
Vacuum the carpet once a week to maintain cleanliness and avoid those pesky debris from getting embedded in the fibers. However, if there is high foot traffic everyday, you may need to do it more often.
Remove Spills Immediately
Any form of spill is something you should not overlook because it can easily stain the carpet permanently. Remember that the longer the stain stays on the carpet, the harder it is to remove. Always use cleaning solutions or stain removers applicable to the carpet to avoid fiber discoloration or damage. Most importantly, do not scrub the carpet fibers and do blotting or scooping instead.
Never Pull Snags
Snags or visible loose threads on the carpet is sometimes unavoidable. To get rid of them, use a pair of scissors to clip them. Never pull those snags because you will also pull the rest of the fibers and that will be visible in the surface. Avoid pulling the carpet from end to end too to get rid of snags.
When your carpet shows a dent or a set of fibers that is lying flat, don’t worry because it is caused by furniture that sits there for too long. You can fix it easily by rubbing the edges on the opposite side of the dent to encourage the fibers to stand back up.
A carpet is prone to staining without proper care and maintenance. You do not have to drop your love for candles to secure your carpet. All you need is knowledge on how to properly remove stubborn stains and the right tools to do it.
The listed cleaning solutions are above are just some of the potential solutions to candle wax stain. You can try any of these as there were all proven effective. Otherwise, you can also try other removal procedures that are available over the Internet.